No official WotC presence again...
1 2 4
1 2 4
Posted by dwintheiser bith

bithlord wrote:I'm fairly certain that the NEXT palytest was run by Baldman Games, and the 2013 year didn't have an Official WotC presence.

Baldman Games did supply the DMs for the Next playtest, but WotC was officially calling the shots -- check out this io9 article about GenCon 2013 for the skinny, including the 'Night with D&D' event hosted by Mike Mearls.

Posted by bonham

Firstly, remember that when you're talking about WotC you're really talking about Hasbro. WotC is not the company it was at the turn of the century, it is controlled by a large corporation and that changes much.

Since WotC was purchased by Hasbro things have obviously changed. Peter, so long as things were reasonably profitable, did not take a typical corporate view of things. I don't want to put him up on TOO much of a pedestal or demonize Hasbro, but Peter often did things because he thought they were the right thing to do, without immediate concern for how profitable it was, out of his love for the hobby and those who share it. Now, I say 'immediate' concern because, I would argue, a lot of those things actually put WotC in a better position in the long run and, I think, Peter understands this.

Too many large companies want immediate gratification, often due to ignorant, impatient, or just plain greedy shareholders or owners. I've worked at more than one company that did things unquestionably detrimental to their business purely due to shareholder behavior (i.e. impacting stock values). Although, to be fair, would you (anyone reading here) want to spend your life making a meager living only to set your children up for an ideal life, or would you like to have at least some of that ideal life yourself too? One can't judge Hasbro too harshly for looking at bottom line numbers as they are a business and everything that comes with that. We can argue how concerned they are about making profits or with their employees, customers, well-being, etc. etc. but the bottom line is they are in business to make money. As to the best way to make that money? None of us, including Hasbro, necessarily know best how to do that.

There's a shifting line between short term and long term success that gets moved around by various factors. Hasbro obviously doesn't think GenCon is worth it. Maybe they think spending 1/3rd as much on three other Cons is a better return on investment. Maybe GenCon figured out they could sell smaller sections of the space Hasbro took up for a higher profit in the end and demanded more money from WotC and Hasbro turned up their noses. Maybe there's bad blood we don't know about. Maybe Hasbro thinks RPG's are dying and that the customers they do have don't really need to be advertised to. We can only guess what the primary reasons are. Pre-Hasbro WotC did things for good-will and visibility that I would argue made them a better company, both in principal and longevity. Things that Hasbro obviously doesn't place as much value in. The 'why' we could argue forever.

Fortunately, it's quite apparent, this hasn't had a negative impact on the convention itself though. It's been growing steadily and has, for the first time, actually 'sold out'.

I moved away from D&D in the early 90's and there are plenty 'carrying the torch' for it at GenCon, so it's not as if we're missing out on the game itself, but I do think it's a real shame WotC did not do something for GenCon 50 - even if it had been to start their own con. I really think the current owners of D&D should have stood up, taken a bow and acknowledged the importance of the entire event. Tabletop RPG gamers are a bit of a different breed from your typical customer and I think it does leave many us shaking our heads a bit.

Posted by rhone1

WotC not showing up has nothing to do with costs/profits/bang for the buck Gen Con vs. other cons.  

Posted by bith rhone1

rhone1 wrote:
WotC not showing up has nothing to do with costs/profits/bang for the buck Gen Con vs. other cons.  

Sure it does, at least on some level.

Posted by yawg07

Also interestingly it looks like Star City  isn't going to be there this year either

Posted by bonham bith

bithlord wrote:
rhone1 wrote:
Sure it does, at least on some level.
Agreed. It would be silly to assume it doesn't.

Posted by happpycamper rhone1

rhone1 wrote:
It's ridiculous that they aren't coming.  No idea if there is any truth here but I heard that WotC has been trying to distance themselves from Gen Con for some time now.  No clue why there would be a rift between the two but it is crazy they haven't been able to get it worked out.  Even if gamers at Gen Con don't play any WotC games it is better for the convention as a whole if the big player (company in this case) is there.

Has anyone done the math?  Did WotC quit coming after the Mike Pence Religious Freedom Restoration Act (RFRA) debacle? 

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 2 4
1 2 4