Attendee statistics/demographics?
Posted by fethbone

Does anyone know if Gencon tabulates (and releases) attendee statistics such as reported age, sex, country of residence etc? I don't recall being asked for any demographic information besides my name and billing info when signing up and purchasing things, but that doesn't mean I didn't fill out a survey or something at some point. Just curious as the subject came up when my group was guessing the male:female sex ratio of attendees- people opined anywhere from 60/40 to 80/20. 

Posted by austicke

I don't believe they've released those details.

As a data point, the 13,360 members of the Fans of Gen Con Facebook group are 33.1% women, 65.8% men and 1.1% custom gender. Younger members tend to be more evenly distributed. For example, of members below age 25, 45.9% are women.

Posted by fethbone austicke

austicke wrote:
I don't believe they've released those details.
As a data point, the 13,360 members of the Fans of Gen Con Facebook group are 33.1% women, 65.8% men and 1.1% custom gender. Younger members tend to be more evenly distributed. For example, of members below age 25, 45.9% are women.
Thanks for that info! Going by the FB group, I feel gratified that my own guess (3:1) was closest. :) Probably TMI, but the discussion sprouted from the observation that GenCon is one of the only large events myself and others have attended where the Men's restrooms seem noticeably more crowded than the Women's.

Posted by jishosan

Restrooms are the worst part of GenCon for me. I wish I could say it was a stereotype, but far too many attendees to these events don't seem to understand basic bathroom hygiene and etiquette. Same thing happens during big events at my local gaming store. 

Posted by fethbone jishosan

jishosan wrote:
Restrooms are the worst part of GenCon for me. I wish I could say it was a stereotype, but far too many attendees to these events don't seem to understand basic bathroom hygiene and etiquette. Same thing happens during big events at my local gaming store. 
My hypothesis is that the poor hygiene comes from the somewhat shortsighted mindset of "I don't care about this and it doesn't bother me, so I don't understand why anyone else would be bothered by it either." Gencon and anime conventions are pretty much the only events I've been to where the stereotype of the women's room getting crowded and gross and the men's room being relatively OK is turned around. I've never had a problem with cleanliness, or even wait time, of the women's restrooms at Gencon, while the men in my party complain about waiting, if needed, for a stall and then the nastiness that may await. :/

Posted by garhkal

That might also reflect how often the places are cleaned out..  Even if they are done hourly, with 200-300 folk going in and using them each hour, that's STILL a lot of mess that can be made.

But on demographics, i'd LOVE TO see a map of the world, with a dot representing every city/country that an attendee's come from..

Posted by ytuni

We women love the fact that the women's restrooms at Gen Con aren't crowded, unlike just about every other event we go to. Try the restrooms in out of the way areas, there are a lot of them in the ICC.

Posted by febrar

[This post has been removed]

Posted by alans

The 2nd floor ICC men's rooms are usually much less crowded...

Posted by quarex

True, though I have noticed in the years since I started hanging out exclusively at the Auction that those bathrooms have gone from "virtually abandoned" to "moderately busy," which granted is still an improvement.  But last year was the first time I ever saw a line in one of the second-floor bathrooms and it totally broke my heart, haha.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.