Anyone live in Indy who can tell me if this is a good area?
Posted by frinn

I might suggest http://maps.indy.gov/MapIndy/index.html?theme=CrimeViewer/ instead.  Though looking at any crime report looks scary almost everywhere.

Father Bloodlust. I hate to say, in my 20 years in Indy I have never been in that neighborhood.  The area north of there is not great. The area south of that is IUPUI. 

Now, if anyone wants to know the best Greenwood Hotels (south of Indy), I could be the guy..  But I don't know that anyone wants to pay 130 a night and drive 30 minutes in the morning. 

Posted by lore seeker frinn

frinn wrote:
I might suggest http://maps.indy.gov/MapIndy/index.html?theme=CrimeViewer/ instead.  Though looking at any crime report looks scary almost everywhere.
Father Bloodlust. I hate to say, in my 20 years in Indy I have never been in that neighborhood.  The area north of there is not great. The area south of that is IUPUI. 
Now, if anyone wants to know the best Greenwood Hotels (south of Indy), I could be the guy..  But I don't know that anyone wants to pay 130 a night and drive 30 minutes in the morning. 

Haven't been there because it's bad, or because you just haven't been there?

And what does IUPUI mean?

Posted by rz3wg4mattingly

IUPUI is Indiana University - Purdue University Indianapolis.  

Posted by frinn

Sorry, just never been there.

IUPUI is Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis.  Large public university that is primarily a commuting college.

I'm a south-sider nowadays, so though I went to Barnes UMC for a few years as a child.  I have not gone to the short nw recently.

Posted by deltafox65 lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
Still wondering if I can get some info from Indy residents about the place I'm staying:
Sleep Inn
1244 W 16th St.
Any idea what the surrounding area is like?

Sorry, I haven't responded to this sooner.  Used to get dinged with an email if certain forums in which I posted earlier had updated post.  In regards to that neighborhood you are in there it is kind of a mixed bag.  It is not a great neighborhood, but once again I wouldn't say a bad neighborhood either.  They have been trying to clean it up especially with the apartments right by you.  They turned the old baseball field into stadium apartment complex which is the mid to upper price range of housing.  So they also have invested in the streets and added greenery in such around that.  Problem is that it is a lot of commercial and industrial businesses around that particular venue.  Daytime great, evening less so since not a high population of people out and about.  I would feel safe staying there myself though, but once again I believe most places in Indianapolis are generally great to tourist as a given.  Most of the crime statistics and such people post are local on local, which is the case everywhere.  But as a whole when I drive by that area late at night (3am or so) after I get off work there never seems to be issues at that spot.  Further west along 16th is a different story though with certain gas stations, liquor stores, and gentleman's clubs being predominant.  Those places are cantankerous in any city though and you should be fine commuting to and from the convention center.

Posted by lore seeker

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking for a downtown room now, but if I don't get it, that info will be nice to have.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.