My costs and experience using Uber and staying at an Airport Hotel
Posted by syntaxed

I wanted to post this in case it helps anybody for the upcoming 2017 event since I often see people wondering how an airport hotel will work for them, what the costs will be, etc.

I was not one of the lucky one who won the housing lottery. I decided to stay at the Super 8 at 5241 W Bradbury Ave. near the airport, which google maps says is about 7.1 miles away from ICC. The total was about $83/night after taxes and I was there from Wed-Sun. I booked using priceline instead of using Gencon hotel reg.  I flew in to Indy so having my own car wasn’t an option.

Since there was no shuttle this year I had to Uber everywhere from morning till night. I typically went in around 8AM (god help me) and came back between 11pm-1am.
4th – AM $27.01 (no uberx avail), PM $9.55
5th – AM $9.71, PM $14.28 (surge)
6th – AM $9.95, PM $21.10 (surge)
7th – AM $9.32

I didn’t include the trip to and from the airport on here since there are multiple options, but I’d plan on $20-35 round-trip for it or cheaper if using carpools, etc.

Experience with Uber: Never had to wait more than 10 minutes, typically I got one within 5 minutes. From the ICC it was super easy to get picked up and I had no issues at all getting back to my hotel.

For getting to and from the con using Uber it cost me $100.92 for all 4 days.

My hotel cost about $330 for 4 nights after taxes.

Airport Hotel (admittedly a crummy one) + Uber to get back and forth = $433 for 4 days. + about ~$30 to get to and from the Airport.

Staying at the airport hotel wasn’t so bad. Super 8 is pretty run down, but I was able to sleep, shower and leave. Getting to the convention was easy and not having to rent a car and then deal with parking was fine. If I had the option to drive due to living closer I think staying at the airport, driving in and reserving a parking spot would be better than Uber.

Last year I used the shuttles which were late and people were left wondering what happened. If people were to carpool with at least one other person using Uber to get to your airport hotel would be really close to the same cost with much better service.

I’d still prefer to get a connected hotel one of these days to take naps, drop stuff off, etc. But going solo to Gencon using Uber and staying at an airport hotel wasn’t that bad. Costs about $500 for the whole thing. Hope this string of information helps anybody who was interested.

Posted by elvinlord

I also stayed at that super 8 crummy is being nice.  The floor was dirty when we got there and they never vacumm it once, hand towel was covering the smoke alarm and it never got removed, holes in the walls, towels not restocked, they switched us to one bed from two and refused to Mark down the price.  

Only  thing missing was a dead body under the bed.  Never again, good old hooker haven hotel

Posted by robbo elvinlord

elvinlord wrote:
I also stayed at that super 8 crummy is being nice.  The floor was dirty when we got there and they never vacumm it once, hand towel was covering the smoke alarm and it never got removed, holes in the walls, towels not restocked, they switched us to one bed from two and refused to Mark down the price.  
Only  thing missing was a dead body under the bed.  Never again, good old hooker haven hotel
Did you check under the bed?

Posted by garhkal

That's why i can't stand many super 8's or other low key motels like that.  Sure they are cheap, but they are often dirty and such.

At most i will go down to a red roof.

Posted by vparmley

That's really helpful information to have about Uber - I don't know why I didn't think of that as an option before!

Posted by garhkal

How long were those uber rides to and from?

Posted by holien

My uber from Alexander to airport on Sunday after noon was 19 minutes and cost 15 bucks. I guess if it was busy you are talking around 30 mins.

I made mistake of using the go shuttle from airport on Wednesday which was atrocious. Not enough capacity and serious poor management and communication. I was on the bus being driven by who I suspeted to be the man in control based on the radio communications. I would never use again!!!

If uber was not an option 2:75 bucks would get you on the local W8 bus which takes you downtown.

Posted by syntaxed garhkal

garhkal wrote:
How long were those uber rides to and from?

Uber rides took about 12-14 minutes from my motel to the con. About the same coming back.  So if you're looking at waiting 5-10 minutes for arrival it shouldn't be any longer than 20 mins on average. 

With Uber you can queue up from your motel too while you finish getting ready, which I used a few times to jump down and find my car arriving in a minute or less. 

IMO a much better option than the shuttle or buses. If you got a crew of 3 people you can easily fit in the cars and the cost is negligible.

Where I live they have uberPOOL, which allows the app to find close-by people going to the same place to travel together (takes a little longer) but at a reduced fare. This would be really, really helpful at least getting to the con. Hopefully Indy gets it soon as I think this option would help everyone out if we're never getting the GoShuttles again. https://www.uber.com/ride/uberpool/

Posted by truelink

Just as a point of comparison, I stayed downtown this year from Wed - Sun:

My hotel was $1079.04 after tax. (JW)
Parking was $93.00 at the Circle Center parking garage. (It would have been a minimum of $160 at my hotel).
Total: $1172.04

Posted by brotherbock garhkal

garhkal wrote:
That's why i can't stand many super 8's or other low key motels like that.  Sure they are cheap, but they are often dirty and such.
At most i will go down to a red roof.

How much would it cost to hire an Uber for six hours to just drive around while you sleep in the back seat? 

Posted by garhkal truelink

truelink wrote:
Just as a point of comparison, I stayed downtown this year from Wed - Sun:
My hotel was $1079.04 after tax. (JW)
Parking was $93.00 at the Circle Center parking garage. (It would have been a minimum of $160 at my hotel).
Total: $1172.04

And people often wonder why i willingly GM so many slots...  So i get my hotel compped..

Posted by qwaserity

Our hotel was $312 after tax for Thursday though Sunday: (Best Western Indianapolis South)
Parking was $24 (www.parkwhiz.com)

Posted by genconkeeper

Used Uber to get from home to the ICC Wednesday after I had dropped off my luggage at the hotel. Waited about ten minutes. Don't remember the cost but the car was nice driver was friendly.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.