Housing for 2017 - 50th Anniversary
4 5 6 8
4 5 6 8
Posted by lore seeker

I found a listing on AAA's website using my membership that had an Alexander room for $217/night, but then I saw that one phrase that makes me say "Dammit, so close...": "non-refundable."

Posted by jobeth66

I booked Southport for now, hoping for a downtown room in the lottery (hahahaha - I've been in the 3 hour range there, so never a real shot) but I'm an optimist.  Last 2 years I've booked Embassy out of block, but I don't think that's going to be an option this year.  Slightly miffed that 3P booking sites are having their reservations honored, but if you booked direct, you're SOL.

Posted by divachelle jobeth66

jobeth66 wrote:Slightly miffed that 3P booking sites are having their reservations honored, but if you booked direct, you're SOL.
I was told by the Embassy staff that ALL of those reservations will be canceled as well. 

Posted by jobeth66 divachelle

divachelle wrote:
jobeth66 wrote:Slightly miffed that 3P booking sites are having their reservations honored, but if you booked direct, you're SOL.
I was told by the Embassy staff that ALL of those reservations will be canceled as well. 

The same staff that told me all reservations would be honored?  Yeah, I'm not betting they're right - I'm thinking that the contracts that Hilton has in place with Booking.Com and Hotels.com and any other 3P sites are going to be honored.  If not, they would've all been cancelled at the same time, IMO.

Posted by nascragman

The fact that we are even discussing this in September just shows how messed up the situation is. 

jobeth66 wrote:
divachelle wrote:

The same staff that told me all reservations would be honored?  Yeah, I'm not betting they're right - I'm thinking that the contracts that Hilton has in place with Booking.Com and Hotels.com and any other 3P sites are going to be honored.  If not, they would've all been cancelled at the same time, IMO.
That doesn't speak well for their brand and how they "value" their loyalty program customers.

I, too, was told by on-site staff that my reservation would be honored. WEB OF LIES!!! 

Posted by sodeak

3 Years ago I had the exact same issue with Embassy, although in my case I made the mistake of booking for several rooms as I was planning a big getaway vacation to GenCon for me and about 20 friends and so they asked for a reason for the stay.  Made the mistake of telling the truth and as a result the not only cancelled the reservations (the next day) but at that point jacked up the prices to triple.  For those people who have 3rd party reservations and think you still have a hotel room I recommend searching a couple of the news websites as I can't remember which one it was but just prior to the 2016 convention there were multiple reports of third party site bookers being bumped at the last minute for direct booker reservations.  Trust no one in the hotel business especially with important vacation plans.

Posted by sodeak

also a little irate about this glitch thing since I was looking nearly every day from day one of the 2016 con and at no point did either my app or computer log in show availability for August 2017, which did not surprise me since it was always middle October when it would pop up, but was definitively perplexed by all the posts on here of people that were getting Hilton brand hotels and for prices that suggested they were looking at outer ring locations but were adamant they were downtown.  Since the rooms I get are my present to my friends (bday and xmas) I didn't mind paying premium rates even with a rewards card, but if they were giving significantly better rates due to a bug and gouging someone that was bringing in quite a bit of revenue and had shown loyalty for 3 years in spite of it that might have finally been the last straw.

Posted by m-evans sodeak

sodeak wrote:
also a little irate about this glitch thing since I was looking nearly every day from day one of the 2016 con and at no point did either my app or computer log in show availability for August 2017, which did not surprise me since it was always middle October when it would pop up, but was definitively perplexed by all the posts on here of people that were getting Hilton brand hotels and for prices that suggested they were looking at outer ring locations but were adamant they were downtown.  Since the rooms I get are my present to my friends (bday and xmas) I didn't mind paying premium rates even with a rewards card, but if they were giving significantly better rates due to a bug and gouging someone that was bringing in quite a bit of revenue and had shown loyalty for 3 years in spite of it that might have finally been the last straw.

I'm not entirely sure how to parse your post.

For clarification the people who booked the Embassy rooms at non-con rates directly through the Embassy suites website have had those reservations cancelled.  As far as I know the people who booked the non-con rate though 3rd party websites still have those reservations.

Posted by technoir m-evans

maerada wrote:
sodeak wrote:
I'm not entirely sure how to parse your post.For clarification the people who booked the Embassy rooms at non-con rates directly through the Embassy suites website have had those reservations cancelled.  As far as I know the people who booked the non-con rate though 3rd party websites still have those reservations.

Correct,because they are at a slightly higher rate. 

Posted by jobeth66

Posted on the 2017 thread, but as of this morning Homewood Suites is open for GenCon  booking!  Rates are not terrible,  booked Tuesday to Sunday AAA for $1400, refundable.

jobeth66 wrote:
Posted on the 2017 thread, but as of this morning Homewood Suites is open for GenCon  booking!  Rates are not terrible,  booked Tuesday to Sunday AAA for $1400, refundable.
Got one! Yeah! Thanks so very much.

Posted by alans jobeth66

jobeth66 wrote:
I was able to get Tues-Mon.  Awesome! Also a refundable reservation, in case I hit the housing lottery   :)

Posted by glory

Mr. Moderator - can this thread be moved to the 2017 forum? I created it for the 50th anniversary but there was no 2017 forum set up at the time. :)

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
4 5 6 8
4 5 6 8