Borderline Offensive Upper Deck Booth at Dealer Hall
Posted by gib_rebeg lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
Interesting time to bring this up, a month after the convention.
Don't really have anything else to say, having never played the game or seen the movie (I know, I know - it's on my long list of "to see when I have the time" movies).
The movie is cheesy, a bit stereotypical, but funny as all hell.

Jack Burton: [pointing to Chinese writing on elevator] What does that say?
Wang Chi: [speaks Chinese] Hell of Boiling Oil.
Jack Burton: You're kidding.
Wang Chi: Yeah, I am. It says Keep Out.

To think they are remaking the movie shows that it has a strong following of fans.

Posted by lore seeker gib_rebeg

gib_rebeg wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
Interesting time to bring this up, a month after the convention.
Don't really have anything else to say, having never played the game or seen the movie (I know, I know - it's on my long list of "to see when I have the time" movies).
Jack Burton: [pointing to Chinese writing on elevator] What does that say?
Wang Chi: [speaks Chinese] Hell of Boiling Oil.
Jack Burton: You're kidding.
Wang Chi: Yeah, I am. It says Keep Out.

I actually do know that specific quote, but only because it was featured in a White Wolf RPG book (it was either a "Kindred of the East" book or one of the Dark Kingdom of Jade books for "Wraith;" I forget).

Posted by nascragman

Race is a highly charged issue in America today.  It's hard to know where to draw the line.  The movie was kitschy and satirical even back then and seemed to me to be poking fun at those very elements by exaggerating them.

This is actually an issue we deal with in Nascrag.  We're all about the role-playing.  And often that means using your best approximation of an accent for your character.  Our theme for the last few years has been a voodoo related zombie apocalypse.  Two of our Players Characters were Islanders (Jamaican).  Are we racists if we're trying to do a Jamaican accent?  Or are we enlightened for having a diverse list of PCs?

Posted by vectorlit

I can't speak for other people's culture. I didn't personally find it offensive. The movie is wacky and kitschy and so was the booth. I think wacky and stereotypical humor can have a place in pop culture without insinuating that it's making fun of or insulting someone in reality. Take a look at any Mel Brooks film, Indiana Jones, etc... We've got the self-named gaming wenches group here on the forums, cross play costumes in the main hall, and all other sorts. We're all accepting of each other and we all realize there's no veiled subtext inherent in any of this fun.

I'm sure we can all think of some ways it would be a legitimately racist booth, but instead we're talking about if it might possibly be offensive to someone? Yet without any takers on that side. I think it's probably alright.

Posted by garhkal

I knew plenty of asian friends who found the film Funnier, just cause it DID Ham up those cheezy stereotypes.. 

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.