Some Thoughts..
Posted by adzumi xanathon

xanathon wrote:
akaru wrote:
Well another Gencon has come and gone... I hope every one had a blast. I did for the most part, however this year seemed a bit different for me. I'm sure this being my first year going solo instead of having some one else come along with me had a lot to do with that feeling.. but I also think I had some bad luck this year. I joined several different RPG events and sadly most (not all) of the GMs that ran the events were either complete assholes or totally inept. 
Did a Pathfinder event and the GM was very unfriendly, no laughs, no smiling, nothing. Every time I asked a question he gave me this look, like I was a total idiot or some thing. WELL the event said rules will be taught and i was told by others that it was fine being new player, so I guess I got the jack ass just out of luck. Also, had one of those players in a RPG event I was in that loved to talk nonstop and pretty much took over the game. Myself and the others who were in the party could barely talk at all or play their characters cause this guy had to do EVERYTHING. Of course I sat there and just bit my tongue HARD cause I didn't wanna come off as a dick, but seriously, that shit annoys me. 
OH, those 10 dollar Nachos, that one really made me laugh.
Anyway other than that I had fun. Seeya next year! ^.^
Ranting over.
I won't play in any Pathfinder events after my experience with their organized play.  They have the worst organized play in my opinion.  The GMs don't appear to want to be there and I kept hearing them discussing the stuff they would be getting for working GenCon.

I didn't hear any of them say that but I got the feeling there didn't want to be there GMing either. Especially the GM our group had on saturday night. He was just very unfriendly. I'm pretty new to Pathfinder so I had a  few questions and when I asked him he just gave me this look like "You seriously don't know this?"   

Overall it was not a fun night. :/

Posted by rodoubleb

If you encounter a rude Pathfinder GM it might be worth reporting.   They ideally want only their best running specials.
http://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety

I played in the Thursday and Saturday night Pathfinder  events and was lucky enough to have two excellent GMs who were both Venture Captains.  The Saturday night special was the highlight of the con for me.  Last years Saturday night special was my favorite event in ten years of conning because of a truly excellent Pathfinder Society GM (and players).

Posted by brotherbock ironsphinx

ironsphinx wrote:
Heh. That's pretty clever. Y'know, I looked over at that 'Gamers for Jesus' booth and just from the looks of it couldn't tell if they were serious or not. It looked like their banner was the 'buddy Christ' from Dogma.

They're straight up. Talked to them when they first came years ago. They are gamers and Christians. Not terribly big on all the judgy and you're going to hell sort of stuff. Almost like they get that being a decent person will help you talk to people, and that a guy who talked about love didn't talk so much about hate :) 

Posted by ironsphinx brotherbock

brotherbock wrote:
ironsphinx wrote:
Heh. That's pretty clever. Y'know, I looked over at that 'Gamers for Jesus' booth and just from the looks of it couldn't tell if they were serious or not. It looked like their banner was the 'buddy Christ' from Dogma.

They're straight up. Talked to them when they first came years ago. They are gamers and Christians. Not terribly big on all the judgy and you're going to hell sort of stuff. Almost like they get that being a decent person will help you talk to people, and that a guy who talked about love didn't talk so much about hate :) 

Nice! If they're back next year, I'll have to stop by their booth and chat them up. :)

Posted by jessicalprice

If you have a bad experience with a Pathfinder GM, please report it. The PFS organized play program is huge, so there's no way for campaign leadership to know every GM. The only way we can weed out the unsuitable ones is if people let us know that they've had bad experiences.

Posted by derekguder

Yeah, I just want to chime in, too, and say that if you have a bad (or good) experience with an event or GM, let us know. Email the details you have to [email protected].

I follow up on every piece of feedback I get.

If there is a complaint, I contact the event organizer and/or GM and ask them what happened.

if there is praise, I share it so they know they were appreciated.

Let us know the good & the bad so we can take action.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by rringenbach

MAMS gaming ran an event for the Strange called "Strange Bedfellows." Hands-down the best game I played at the con.  They ran multiple tables and provided a great intro to the key recursions that make up the Strange. The game was well written and well coordinated. Four GMs, around 24 players- with players moving between tables-- the execution of the game was no small feat! I will look for events put on by this gaming group in the future!

Posted by mag130 rringenbach

rringenbach wrote:
MAMS gaming ran an event for the Strange called "Strange Bedfellows." Hands-down the best game I played at the con.  They ran multiple tables and provided a great intro to the key recursions that make up the Strange. The game was well written and well coordinated. Four GMs, around 24 players- with players moving between tables-- the execution of the game was no small feat! I will look for events put on by this gaming group in the future!

Thanks for the kind words and great review! That was an experiment this year to see if we could pull off an event like that and it was a lot of fun for us too. Somehow we ended up with 4 tables full of the best kinds of gamers: folks wanting to have fun!

Mike Goldrich
Event Organizer
MAMS Gaming

Posted by dsalmeron

I enjoyed the Oasai Ruins tremendously, my GM was completely different but he did a great job.   I played Undead Wonderland that also had a really good GM.  The setting was quite interesting in that 75% of the game was in a restaurant but we all worked together as a group excellently.  My first experience in a system called Numenera was not at all what I expected in a game but was quite fun!.    All those were in the MAMs gaming room.   I also really enjoyed my Eclipse Phase game in which I played the muse to another character (in other words I was an AI with no body and the only physical presence I had was the other character whom I was a 2 year past clone of).  That was quite an interesting game and the other guy that played my physical body did an awesome job.    

My strangest game this year was a game called the Underseas Olympics.  it was a very whimsical game where we played as unicorns.  I would have been like ugh, except the other two players were completely into it and did an awesome job roleplay cutesy mermaids.   I of course had to play a bad boy Merman  :).   GenCon was great fun this year.   

Posted by ladyimm adzumi

akaru wrote:
Also, had one of those players in a RPG event I was in that loved to talk nonstop and pretty much took over the game. Myself and the others who were in the party could barely talk at all or play their characters cause this guy had to do EVERYTHING. 
Ranting over.
I just had to say -- I am one of those people that WILL tell an over-talkative player that he is NOT the only person playing the game and I would appreciate it if he would let the rest of us get a word in edge-wise.  (and, in fact, I have done so in the past!)

Posted by ladyimm

Also, I should say, I am pretty sure I can talk over ANYONE if I really set my mind to it.  Just because I worked hard in the last 20 years to not be the loudest voice in the room doesn't mean that I am unable to be the loudest voice in the room... ::grins::

Posted by nascragman adzumi

akaru wrote:
I joined several different RPG events and sadly most (not all) of the GMs that ran the events were either complete assholes or totally inept. 
Did a Pathfinder event and the GM was very unfriendly, no laughs, no smiling, nothing. 

Akaru, I'm really sorry to hear you had a bad time.  Come back and try NASCRAG.  You will smile and you will laugh.  Next year will be our 38th Gen Con, (Pathfinder since 2011, D&D before that) and we've got this down to a science.  We've got a big group and everything gets playtested multiple times.  All the judges are prepared and friendly.

And Nascrag is about role-playing rather than roll-playing.  We're rules light and the adventures are challenging, but also have elements of humor and silliness.

One of our two events is a tournament (scored on role-playing of course), and we've got tons of swag for the people who advance to the final round.

Posted by ladyimm

I agree with Nascragman - they run some of the most fun games out there - and you can get in on generics and so forth :) 

I mean...anytime you can play a pirate parrot.......

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.