Any other women having the same problem..
Posted by deb9266

of getting their butts grabbed?

Happened to me twice so far this year (Thursday) in the vendor hall.  For the record, I was wearing baggy jeans, a tshirt, and I'm a middle aged mom.  In my 8 years of GenCon'ing it hasn't happened ever before and it doesn't happen if I'm with my 6ft plus son or husband.  

I'm wondering if there's some sort of 'competition' to see how many a guy can 'bag' that I don't know about.  

Posted by austicke

Wow, that's shocking!

Posted by snowleopard

That is ridiculous!!!

Discussion online - a few people are wondering if it may have been pickpocketers (which still sucks).

https://m.facebook.com/groups/2246486901?view=permalink&id=10153906505381902&fs=1

Posted by garhkal

First i have heard of that.  Heck, its rare i have even heard of pick pockets in the con center period, let alone just the exhibiter hall..

Did you mention it to the security people?

Posted by rhone1

I've never heard of something like this, although, with a crowded dealer hall/convention in general I guess it's reasonable to think it might happen.

Posted by ironsphinx

Get security involved. There's no place for that behavior at Gen Con!

Posted by bakermouse10133

Hasn't happened to me, sorry it has to you! That's just not cool, I agree that is not acceptable and would get security involved

Posted by garhkal ironsphinx

ironsphinx wrote:
Get security involved. There's no place for that behavior at Gen Con!

There certainly was a lot MORE security i saw this year around than normal..

Posted by lore seeker

Goddammit so much...

I'm really sorry to hear about that shit happening :( I'd thought GenCon was above that BS, but apparently some pricks don't agree.

Definitely report it to security (even if you didn't before - send them or GenCon itself an e-mail so they can address it next year).

Posted by rodoubleb

Just said this elsewhere, but worth saying again.  Ask for help.  In the exhibit hall I guarantee there will be a ton of people willing to help.

Posted by tomjscott lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
Goddammit so much...
I'm really sorry to hear about that shit happening :( I'd thought GenCon was above that BS, but apparently some pricks don't agree.
Definitely report it to security (even if you didn't before - send them or GenCon itself an e-mail so they can address it next year).
It's totally inappropriate behavior and unacceptable, but unfortunately not shocking. Just liked I'm not shocked that you are blaspheming my God in your response to this situation. Unfortunately, we live in a society where evil has become good and good has become evil.

Posted by lore seeker tomjscott

tomjscott wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
Goddammit so much...
It's totally inappropriate behavior and unacceptable, but unfortunately not shocking. Just liked I'm not shocked that you are blaspheming my God in your response to this situation. Unfortunately, we live in a society where evil has become good and good has become evil.

Really? You're comparing a curse word to sexual assault? Seriously?

Posted by deb9266

Thanks for the support...I'm home now and laundry is being done.  

I posted about it on my private FB page and was also given the suggestion to contact security which I did the next day...but I think I went to one of the Convention center people (blue and yellow shirts) and he had a great big 'so what' about it.  I think I will follow another poster's advice and contact GenCon. 

The first incident was in the new part of the vendor hall and could have been a pickpocket.  Guy got really close and rubbed and I said "Hey" so he scooted off.  Of course, a pickpocket who thinks that a woman keeps much of anything in her back pocket isn't a genius but then...if he was smart he wouldn't be a criminal.

Second one was a definite pinch and the guy laughed as he walked off.  It was a garden-variety ass grab.  

Frankly, I was super shocked it happened at GenCon.  People in the gaming community may blow me off occasionaly for my gender but none have invaded my space like that before.  

Posted by lore seeker deb9266

deb9266 wrote:
I posted about it on my private FB page and was also given the suggestion to contact security which I did the next day...but I think I went to one of the Convention center people (blue and yellow shirts) and he had a great big 'so what' about it.  I think I will follow another poster's advice and contact GenCon. 

That ICC person's response is sad and infuriating. If they can't be bothered to help people that ask for it, why the fuck are they even there?!

Here's hoping GenCon and the ICC do something about this before it becomes an epidemic (if it hasn't already).

Posted by galahadkoa lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
deb9266 wrote:

That ICC person's response is sad and infuriating. If they can't be bothered to help people that ask for it, why the fuck are they even there?!Here's hoping GenCon and the ICC do something about this before it becomes an epidemic (if it hasn't already).
The ICC people in the blue and yellow shirts just looked pissed off or bored every time I ever saw them.

Posted by bith lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
deb9266 wrote:

That ICC person's response is sad and infuriating. If they can't be bothered to help people that ask for it, why the fuck are they even there?!Here's hoping GenCon and the ICC do something about this before it becomes an epidemic (if it hasn't already).

I get the feeling they are mostly there because ICC / Union requirements dictate that there must be a certain number of them present.

Posted by britbrit

Thankfully I did not have that happen to me this year. But have had it happen in previous years.

Its a super shitty situation to be in, sadly if reported I don't see what can be done. With so many people not much can be. And by the time I find staff to report the offender is long gone. 

Though if you find yourself victim to it again, do what I did and shout it. As many douche bags there are at Gen Con, there are twice as many good people there who got your back and won't tolerate such behavior. 

Posted by bpunkert galahadkoa

The ICC people in the blue and yellow shirts just looked pissed off or bored every time I ever saw them.

Never happened to me, but I get mistaken for a man all the time, so I'm not a good barometer. Happened to me over breakfast this year. "And it's Ma'am" *sigh*

For what it's worth, the few times I asked the people in blue for directions and stuff they were super helpful. I wasn't near Dealer's at the time though. 

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.