GenCon screwing over non-VIG gamers?
1 3
1 3
Posted by catsclaw

Apparently, VIG gamers bought out the entire stock of Seafall before the dealer hall was open. Just another big go fuck yourself to people who aren't in the program. Thanks, GenCon!

Posted by watchdog

So they didn't make enough copies to meet demand, and/or they allowed VIGs to buy multiple copies each.  Not sure either of those scenarios are Gen Con's fault.

Posted by catsclaw

They allow VIGs in early to buy limited releases before anyone else can. That's entirely within Gencon's control.

Posted by indigopet

Seafall is releasing 50 copies per day 

Posted by noone

Actually the VIGs and companions are a total of 600 people.  The early access is way more than 600.  It's also trade day people and media (the media people aren't suppose to buy stuff but they do). Also if the company only has 50 copies per day of a 60000+ con maybe you should be ticked at the idiots who think 50 a day is enough

Posted by yog-sothoth in jersey catsclaw

catsclaw wrote:
Apparently, VIG gamers bought out the entire stock of Seafall before the dealer hall was open. Just another big go fuck yourself to people who aren't in the program. Thanks, GenCon!

miked is correct.  There were SEVERAL THOUSAND people in the early access line.  It includes trade day and media attendees.  I was a VIG who actually tried to get Seafall.  By the time I got in, the line wrapped around the booth several times.  Same for Cry Havoc.  

No worries.  I'll just buy it online when it becomes available.  Why waste my exhibit hall time standing in line anyway? 

Posted by maijstral2

Also,and this may be Trade day people, I know that vendors can buy off each other before the doors open to the general public. There are a lot of gamers that own or work at various vendor booths and may want to take advantage of getting that hard to get game before the crowds and getting stuck at their booth all day.

I wanted a copy of Seafall as well and even had a plan of attack to get to the booth fast but after seeing the crowds,11 years and I'm still surprised, I didn't even bother I just went to 2nd on my list it and was pleasantly surprised when the designer was at the booth signing copies so I wasn't unhappy.

This isn't the first time and won't be the last limited copies of games vanish before the doors open the the general crowds.Yeah it sucks but in reality all these games will be available after the con as well you just may have to wait a few weeks. 

Posted by galahadkoa

Kind of saw the same thing with the new Harry Potter deckbuilding game....

Posted by daveculp

With just 50 copies a day it would have been difficult to get one anyways.  The game will be available in retail soon correct?

Posted by rayken

Harry Potter was nuts. We couldn't even get a spot for a demo.

Posted by galahadkoa daveculp

daveculp wrote:
With just 50 copies a day it would have been difficult to get one anyways.  The game will be available in retail soon correct?

The information said sometime in September. Trying to buy or demo the game was just a frustrating experience and I dont really think they should have advertised the world premiere for a game that they could only sell to not even 1% of the people attending the convention. People went to the booth expecting to be able to buy the game. USAopoly was not even close to prepared for the popularity of the new Harry Potter game which blows my mind. I dealt with one nasty employee from the company earlier today and the whole experience made me not want to buy the game at all after four days of trying. 

Posted by arosenwald rayken

rayken wrote:
Harry Potter was nuts. We couldn't even get a spot for a demo.

In defense of USAopoly, they were really erring on the side of the consumer. I asked a friend of mine (who had an exhibitor badge) to see about signing me up for a demo before the hall opened - they wouldn't let him do that, saying they were only signing people up for demos after the hall opened to the general public. They also wouldn't sell their 50/day to anyone before the hall opened up to the public. Good on them.

Posted by cerealkiller195

Over the years I learned especially when a game is brought to attention as "the new hotness" before the con, you never hope to get a copy. It's a pleasant bonus if you DO manage to get a copy of a popular game. But otherwise the dealer hall is a place to dig for some hidden gems or other trinkets.

Posted by daveculp cerealkiller195

cerealkiller195 wrote:
Over the years I learned especially when a game is brought to attention as "the new hotness" before the con, you never hope to get a copy. It's a pleasant bonus if you DO manage to get a copy of a popular game. But otherwise the dealer hall is a place to dig for some hidden gems or other trinkets.

I have learned the same thing.  I tell people:

1.  Dont get your heart set on buying a particular pre-release game at Gen Con.  If it has very limited copies you probably wont get one.

2.  I tell people the same thing on events.  Do not get your heart set on getting into a particular event, especially if it is popular and has a small capacity.

If you are basing you enjoyment of Gen Con on getting a particular game or event you might want to evaluate spending the time and money to go.

Posted by jrhensley catsclaw

catsclaw wrote:

Or, instead of racing for a chance to buy it, you could have bought a guaranteed copy online through their preorder.

http://www.plaidhatgames.com/store/5476

Posted by galahadkoa

I would agree with the last couple of posts about pre-release games, but I don't think its a good business move by the companies that do it. Advertise a product so people think you will actually have it, then find out they only have enough for a tiny fraction of everyone attending, and then people have a bad enough experience with the employees, the lines to demo the game, or lack of product that it actually chases away a larger percentage of future business. I remember when Ascension was doing their pre-release back in around 2009 or 2010 they were demoing the game and brought a lot of product so the way they handled the whole thing made me want to buy their product (plus it was an awesome game). You would think that with one of the most popular IPs out there, Harry Potter, a company would be more prepared than they were.

Posted by monkeyknifefight

I didn't even bother with Seafall. I listened to some podcasts before the con and they mentioned it would be really limited.

Posted by nikki

While I wasn't able to get some games I was really looking forward to as well, I don't blame Gen Con.  It just happens that way sometimes.  Also, the fact that I will be able to buy them soon... well, I don't see a reason to get that upset over something that I'm still going to be able to own before long.

Posted by rbree

Bunch of Sea Fall copies on Ebay going for $116 to $250 each.  One guy has 17 copies left.  Wonder where those came from.

Posted by david campbell rbree

rbree wrote:
Bunch of Sea Fall copies on Ebay going for $116 to $250 each.  One guy has 17 copies left.  Wonder where those came from.

Gotta pay for that Gen Con trip somehow!

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3
1 3