Ticket prices
Posted by galvatron42

2019 was my last year in attendance, and I haven't played in a Shadowrun game there since probably 2017 or 2018, but man those Shadowrun ticket prices seem insane. $20 for a single mission. I remember them being a bit more expensive than the other RPGs but not by that much. Anyone know why they are so expensive? Are all the RPGs around that price now? 

Posted by lehane

The prices spiked last year for Shadowrun. I am not sure why; it may have had to do with problems recruiting GMs. 

Posted by narzat

That’s tracking with prices for many events put on by big, organized RPG groups.  I’m sure that their expenses have gone way up too, and that gets passed along.  Travel and shipping last year were very expensive, for example. 

Posted by tdb

Some groups are charging quite a lot for their RPG sessions, but it's by no means universal, even among organized groups.  Some groups run for the love of the games, and charge the minimum ticket price to allow anyone to join in. And game companies still tend to run their games at minimum price to entice new players.

I understand charging a little extra to cover printing costs, supplies, etc.  And if you're using extensive props, or giving away prizes, or something like that I can see charging enough to cover the cost of that too.

But at some price point it starts to feel like the gaming group's goal changes from sharing their love of the game, earning a badge and/or hotel room and having a good time, to making a profit.  There are a couple groups that seem to charge as much as they think the market will bear.

That might be OK too, but everyone gets to decide their own level of comfort with that, and act accordingly.

Posted by galvatron42 tdb

tdb wrote:
Some groups are charging quite a lot for their RPG sessions, but it's by no means universal, even among organized groups.  Some groups run for the love of the games, and charge the minimum ticket price to allow anyone to join in. And game companies still tend to run their games at minimum price to entice new players.
I understand charging a little extra to cover printing costs, supplies, etc.  And if you're using extensive props, or giving away prizes, or something like that I can see charging enough to cover the cost of that too.
But at some price point it starts to feel like the gaming group's goal changes from sharing their love of the game, earning a badge and/or hotel room and having a good time, to making a profit.  There are a couple groups that seem to charge as much as they think the market will bear.
That might be OK too, but everyone gets to decide their own level of comfort with that, and act accordingly.

Yeah, the Shadowrun prices certainly feel inflated. I was hoping to introduce my son to Shadowrun this year, but at $20 a ticket which would be $40 for one 4 hour game, I just don't see it. I can't believe they almost sold out last year at that price. 

Posted by narzat

True enough that the prices run the gamut.  Most 4-hour RPG sessions were $4-$10 last year, IIRC.  Definitely worth thinking about what your priorities and budget are.  I haven't done Shadowrun at Gen Con, so I can't speak to the level of effort that the hosts put into their events.  I've had other pricey games be worth it, but also had great fun at plenty of $4 or free events as well.  I hope you can find some of what you are looking for!  

Posted by llenlleawg

Many large-scale hosts for events pay the people who agree to run events for them. As a result, part of the increase in costs is to cover the remuneration of the DMs/GMs/etc. who run these big events.

Posted by thag13

I plan on charging 10 dollars for my savage worlds game,.   Thats to cover my printing costs, the cost of getting bennies for the game done

Also bluntly, to make sure folks actually showup.  Gamers dont blow off a a more expensive game .  But man I could noit even think oif charging 20 dollars oir more foir one game session.  Ya better be giving out some high quality prizes and such to charge that kinda price

Posted by davidschneider

I don't mind and can understand the Badge increase.  I don't mind a $10-$12 ticket for a 4 Hour event.  It costs to run an event, the paper, copies, tokens, props, time, etc..  But I really get upset and sad (yes, sad!) for the events that are charging $20, $30, $40, etc for a simple event. 

I've always (personally) thought these higher costs were NOT in the spirit of the convention.  Imagine a 6 person table charging $25 a person for a 4 hour event (and no prizes, or special things), that's $150 for 4 hours.  Now, run that game four times and your looking at $600!  Chances are good that "game runner" has already gotten a free badge and possibly a free room. 

These events are sad and really ruin the convention for me, or at least in part.  I'm not saying they don't have the right, but I will not attend or give those groups my money or time.

I will support those groups/GMs that are there for the fun of running and being at the convention and doing it for the SPIRIT of a game convention!

I know, I'm a crazy old man/old-school gamer who might be living in the past, many will laugh and not care what I'm saying, but I've been wanting to say this for years!

Signed

Ugg!  

Posted by quarex

I do not have a problem with games charging extra, but I was just talking to some of my usual Gen-Con friends about this issue, and we all agree that when we started attending almost every game cost the bare minimum ticket price.  So you are not wrong to say it is "not in the spirit of the convention," because they would have seemed totally out of place when you (and I) started attending.

So far I have only had the luxury of playing in one expensive game (the other two times I tried the company cancelled, alas) and I have to say that experience WAS worth the ridiculous-on-paper price, as it took place in the catacombs, included two meal tickets for the food court above the catacombs, and we left with a few fairly cool pieces of swag.  But I can imagine if I paid, like, $20 for what ended up being just a regular game session, I would be a bit disappointed.

Posted by galvatron42

I've played several Shadowrun Missions games at the convention over the years. Unless something has drastically changed in the last few years, I can say it's certainly not worth $20 a ticket for me. It's a standard RPG session like any other you would sign up for. No prizes, no props, just a GM and some character sheets. I may sign up for 1 event just to see if they have somehow changed the overall experience, but I am skeptical. 

Posted by eldrad12000

I have no proof to back my claim. But some of this arises from greed in my own personal opinion. And some of it arises from need. People know the games that are in high demand and so people are seeing how much money they can make in a few hours. On the flip, this could also be done in an effort to help offset the fact that GenCon has been constantly becoming more and more expensive over the years.

It could be Greed or Need. Or a mix of both.

Posted by adcjones

I'm not sure how long the Shadowrun events run for, but Paizo's Pathfinder run from 4-5 hours and I think they are $12.  I think $15 would be my limit on that time frame.

Posted by galvatron42

Last year they were 4 hours long according to the even list.

Posted by lehane eldrad12000

[This post has been removed]

Posted by foseanusa25

Posted by mxdgol foseanusa25

New Post Sign in to write a new post.