During the convention, it's best to stop by GM HQ if you need to talk to us. GM HQ will be open on Wednesday from 5 pm - 8 pm, Thursday 7 am - 8 pm, Friday 8 am - 8 pm, Saturday 8 am - 8 pm, and Sunday 8 am - 5 pm.
2020 Event Timeline
|Sometime in January *
||Early Event Submission begins|
|TBD||Early Event Submission closes|
|Sometime in March *
||Event Submission Deadline|
|TBD||Layout Change Requests due
GM Badge Requests due
|TBD||GM Hotel Requests Due|
|TBD||Event tickets received Gen Con offices
Final Deadline for reimbursement requests (badge & hotel)
This is a summary list of important dates and reminders. It is by no means comprehensive - please refer to the Event Host Policy for full details on what you need to do for your events.
* Exact dates will be entered in the coming months.
Important Links & Files
- Event Host Policy
This covers all the rules and policies that cover almost any kind of event. Not everything applies to all events, but you should read the whole thing - by submitting events you agree to abide by it.
- Event Organizer and Game Master Forum
A good place to go if you have question and want to get help from other GMs.
- EO/GM Email List
Make sure to sign up for this to make sure you get updates and reminders about submitting and running events. This is separate from the general Gen Con email list and we periodically add GMs to it, but it's safer to sign yourself up directly.
- GM Badge Allocation Request Form
Use this Google form to request a GM badge allocation, so you can assign badges to each of your GMs.
- Special Request Form
If you need an HQ or have any special needs that aren't limited to individual events (like a special layout for your overall event area), use this Google form to get the details to us.
- GM Housing Block Requests
- Event Ticket Envelope Labels
You can print these out to pre-fill your event labels to use on your own envelopes or ours. They should fit basic 2" x 4" sticker labels (compare to Avery model 5963)
- Attendee Consent & Release Agreement
This is the waiver all participants in a physically active event (just about anything more than sitting at a table or talking around at a LARP) need to complete before they can start. Copies of this form are also available at GM HQ on site at the convention.
- Post-Show Reimbursement Requests
- GM Badge Reimbursement Request Form - This is only for independent GMs that did not receive a GM badge at the convention.
- GM Hotel Reimbursement Request Form - Only independent GMs and gaming groups that are eligible for individual reimbursement need to fill out this form. Companies and professionals are not provided hotel reimbursement.
How To Submit Events
Submitting events for Gen Con Indy is a pretty simple process. You just need to use our online event submission form to send us the details for your event. You need to sign into your account to submit an event, but you do not need a badge.
- Click on Submit a New Event at the left or under the Host menu at the top.
- Fill out the submission form as accurately and completely as possible.
- This may be your one chance to entice a player to come check out your game - use it.
- Do not repeat information across multiple fields if at all possible. Your company or group name should only appear in that field, for example. RPGs and LARPs should not use the adventure/scenario name for the title. Do not repeat things like number of players, duration, material provided, rules taught, etc. in the description - there are separate fields for that and you're wasting precious space - the short description can only be 200 characters.
- Click on "Submit this event!" to send your event to us for review. You can also click on "Save this event for later" if you want to submit it later, but you must have filled out at least the required fields before you can save.
Once you have entered your event, it will be listed on after you sign in. You can also click on Event Submissions to get to your event list and review your events or check their status. If you are ever unsure whether your events have been reviewed yet or what location they were assigned, just check there.
You can also now edit and update your events until they have been Accepted for Consideration.
This video tutorial from 2011 walks through the submission form. There have been a few tweaks since then, but not too many, and the major details have stayed consistent.
Event Review Cycles
Events will be reviewed and assigned locations in two cycles during the event submission period. Events approved in a cycle will be assigned a location before events submitted in subsequent cycles.
- Events submitted during early event submission will be placed first.
- Events submitted during normal event submission will be placed after events submitted during early event submission.
- Events submitted after the event submission deadline are late, and will be reviewed and placed entirely at Gen Con's discretion, as time and space permits.
This means that premium, high-demand space and time slots will go very quickly and if you want to secure space in a certain room or have very specific requirements for your event, submit it as early as possible. As time slots fill up and space runs out, we will not be accepting events for that space or time slot, though you can resubmit your event for a different time.
For more information on event placement will be handled, please refer to the Event Host Policy.
How to Request & Assign GM Badges
Only the EO for a gaming group or company can assign badges. If you are not the primary contact for your group or are running as an independent GM, you will not be assign badges. Refer to the Event Host Policy for full details. Further, GM badges are not required to run events, they are simply provided for the convenience of groups and companies that run a sufficient volume of events to warrant them.
- Once your events are marked as Active, you can request a badge allocation by completing the badge allocation request form for this year.
- When you have received confirmation that your allocation has been created, you can go to Get A Badge and you should see a $0 "Gamemaster" option.
- Click "select" for that Gamemaster badge option and you should see your name as well as the names of people you have assigned badges to in the past.
- Select the appropriate names and they will appear at the right in your cart.
- If you want to assign a badge to someone and their name is not listed, click on "Someone else" and enter their email address, then "Find." If that email address is not found in our system, you can enter their first and last name here.
- It is important to confirm what email address your GMs are using in their accounts. If you assign their badge to a different account, they won't have access to it when they sign into their account and will need to contact [email protected] to have their accounts merged and fixed
- Click on Checkout once you have assign the badges you need. You need to complete the transaction as normal, even if it's just listed as $0. Make sure to double-check badge types before finishing, to avoid any accidental charge.
If any of your GMs have already purchased an attendee badge, they can request a refund once they receive their GM badge - they just need to email [email protected] and confirm their account information.
- One badge per account/person. You cannot assign multiple badges to the same name or use a placeholder name of any kind.
- The primary contact for your organization, company or gaming group is obtaining badges on behalf of your organization. The purchases will not show up in that person's personal transaction history, but in the transaction history of the organization.
- The name in the personal Gen Con account is the name that will be displayed on the badge. It will be displayed as entered … typos and all! To update the personal contact information, you will need to log in to your account and click the “My Profile” link.
- Everyone must have a badge to participate in the show. If you don’t go through the above process, a badge will not be created, and one will have to be created at the show. Long lines may be experienced onsite.
- GM badges will be available for pick-up onsite at GM HQ starting the Wednesday before the convention starts, at approximately 5pm, they will not be mailed. Only the Event Coordinator/Organizer and other designates (determined by EO) are eligible to pick-up badge(s). Contact your EO for a smooth check-in process onsite.
- GM badges should be assigned in the system by the time general pre-registration ends in order to ensure a smooth check in process onsite. Badges procured after pre-reigstration ends may not be ready for pick-up and long lines may be experienced onsite.
How to Request GM Hotel Rooms
We've made some changes to the GM hotel request process. There are now two seperate forms in which to make your requests.
1) Complimentary GM Hotel Request Form
2) Self-Pay GM Hotel Request Form
The Complimentary GM Hotel Request Form is to be used only to request complimentary rooms. Complimentary rooms are only offered to independent gaming groups. One complimentary room can be requested for every 800 player-hours of Active events that your group is running.
If you need more rooms than just the complimentary ones you may have earned or you represent a company or sponsored group, you must submit the Self-Pay GM Hotel Request Form to request a room at your own expense. Approved requests will be granted access to a self-pay GM block, and total rooms permitted will be based on available inventory.
The dedicated GM hotel block should be viewed as a backup for groups that are otherwise unable to secure a hotel room, not as a primary method of getting accommodations for the convention. You cannot pick your rooms in the complimentary GM block, if a specific location or price is important to you, do not request a complimentary room.
Only the event organizer for a group can request rooms. All guest information is required and must be accurate: Gen Con is not responsible for any costs or penalties incurred for incorrect or incomplete guest details.
Inventory in the GM block is limited. Details on how to qualify for a room in the block and minimum thresholds for complimentary rooms can be found in the Event Host Policy.
Individual GMs or anyone else seeking reimbursement for an existing reservation they intend to keep must do after the convention but submitting a copy of the hotel bill (with their name printed on it by the hotel) to Gen Con along with confirmation of their events. For more details, refer to the Event Host Policy.
Requesting Badge or Hotel Reimbursement After the Convention
If you did not receive a GM badge onsite and need to request reimbursement after the convention, please fill out the GM Badge Reimbursement form to provide us with your details. If you did receive a GM badge onsite, you should have dropped your attendee badge off at GM HQ by Thursday at the convention and should not need to take any other action.
Independent GMs and gaming groups that did not receive complimentary rooms in the GM block or have enough player-hours left over to make any of their GMs eligible or hotel reimbursement as well can fill out the GM Hotel Reimbursement form and must also provide a copy of their hotel room, either dropped off at GM HQ at the convention or emailed after the show.
All requests for reimbursements must be received within 2 weeks of the end of the convention.
If you have any other questions, concerns, problems or issues, do not hesitate to email us at [email protected], post in the GM forum, or call us directly at 206-957-3976 x3811 (just remember we're on Pacific time).