DevOps / System Administrator
Gen Con LLC produces Gen Con, the largest and longest-running annual event devoted to tabletop gaming culture in North America. The convention, which began in 1968 in Lake Geneva, WI, attracts 70,000 attendees and 500 exhibiting companies each year. During the convention, attendees participate in over 19,000 ticketed events representing a wide array of board games, card games, roleplaying games, seminars, entertainment events, and more. Gen Con takes place each August in the Indiana Convention Center, Lucas Oil Stadium, and surrounding hotels in Indianapolis, IN.
Gen Con is powered by a custom management system encompassing a website and mobile applications for IOS and Android. It is the primary interface for Gen Con's customers and partners, and includes functionality for e-commerce, event management, ticketing, search, content management, maps, forums, messaging, convention planning, and much more.
We are looking for a DevOps / SRE Expert and Systems Administrator to manage Gen Con's systems and processes in the following ways:
- Collaborate with the Development Team to design, build, and maintain systems and processes to support development and operation of Gen Con systems, including website and mobile applications
- Manage systems and services for CI / CD, containerization, orchestration, monitoring, logging, alerts, notifications, analytics, and more
- Automate routine tasks using scripting and DevOps automation tools
- Manage and maintain production and development systems
- Plan for and maintain uptime during critical event launches where site traffic increases 100x over normal operating levels
- Perform routine system administration tasks including; verifying data backups, checking database integrity, reviewing system performance and alerts, checking for security patches and updates, and others
- Identify and track down bugs and performance issues throughout systems
- Apply patches and updates to system dependencies as needed
- Compose and run custom reports and data exports as needed
- Research new technologies and patterns to incorporate into the platform
This job is for contractors. Compensation is on an hourly or project basis
This job is remote. You can work from anywhere you like
- Must have 5+ years of professional experience designing and implementing DevOps solutions
- Must have 5+ years of professional experience administering web applications on cloud computing services like AWS, Azure, Heroku, or GCP
- Must have experience with
common / popular DevOps tools and technologies including
- Continuous Integration and Delivery platforms like Travis CI, CircleCI, or Semaphore
- Container tools like Docker and Kubernetes
- Automation and configuration management tools like Jenkins, Ansible, Chef, or Puppet
- And others
- Must have experience with Agile software development lifecycle practices and methodologies like Scrum and Kanban
- Must have 2+ years professional experience with Ruby on Rails
- Must have 2+ years professional experience with SQL databases like MySQL or PostgreSQL
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills
- Must be organized and detail oriented
- Must be a self-starter, able to take initiative and thrive in an entrepreneurial environment
- Good to have experience developing web applications, particularly with Ruby on Rails
- Good to have experience with various web application datastores, search engines, messaging systems, firewalls, load balancers, CDNs, and others
How to Apply
Send your resume and a cover letter addressing your area(s) of interest, and how you think your skills and experience match up with the job, to [email protected].
Applicants only, please. No recruiters or agencies.
Gen Con is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender presentation, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are committed to hiring and cultivating a diverse team and inclusive environment.