Why has the badge art been so boring?
Posted by fierstarter

I literally thought they reused the art from 2022 so I went and had to double check. Is it just me?

Take a look at the past badges compared to this and past few years.
https://imgur.com/a/g20toeQ

Posted by austicke

Yeah, they used to use the same art as the program book cover. Now it's generic.

Posted by quarex

This is basically the same thing as the argument about state flags that keeps coming up I think, some people want design to be as simple and minimalist as possible and others want huge elaborate images.  I thought I agreed with you but I absolutely do like this year's badge more than, say, 2013.  I might prefer a 2014/2016 style "big bold side image" style though.  Or I think 1997 had a shield with crossed swords as the only image and that was pretty rad.

Posted by kevinrg

A lot more people pay attention to badges than I do.  Between badge design, white sticker complaint and bad sticker placement my joke on facebook about making 'collector' badges for an upcharge might not be a bad idea.

For myself, it could be a plain white badge with my name on it for all I care because on August 7th it will be in the same place as all my previous badges and that is the garbage.

Posted by mikeboozer

We go through different styles and cycles of types. The feedback we get is always very mixed on badge designs. Some love them some don't. 

We will continue to mix it up with styles and imagery. 

Mike

Posted by hahnarama kevinrg

kevinrg wrote:
A lot more people pay attention to badges than I do.  Between badge design, white sticker complaint and bad sticker placement my joke on facebook about making 'collector' badges for an upcharge might not be a bad idea.
For myself, it could be a plain white badge with my name on it for all I care because on August 7th it will be in the same place as all my previous badges and that is the garbage.

I don't know you but I wanna buy you a beer since you are absolutely right.

What I save are the memories and good times, and unfortunately due to old age the list of friends who have rolled their last Crit 1. So on Wed night before the Con starts we crack a bottle of Pappy and raise a toast to

The Rev
Jimbo
Alan
Erin 
Sean

PS let me tell you buying 2 bottles of Pappy Van Winkle is not cheap LOL

Posted by random_axcess

Also this year the sticker on my badge wasn't a clear sticker but a generic envelope white sticker with the information printed on.

Posted by mikeboozer random_axcess

random_axcess wrote:
Also this year the sticker on my badge wasn't a clear sticker but a generic envelope white sticker with the information printed on.

It is anything but a generic envelope sticker.

It is a Thermal transfer sticker that is printed on directly without ink. The clear ones used ink.

It makes it less likely to smear.

The white sticker is easier to scan for electronic tickets. The clear ones reflect back and cause scanning issues.

Mike

Posted by conspiracyofgamers

Very glad to hear that steps are being taken to simplify scanning.  Electronic ticketing is our preferred method of collecting tickets, and we have had a lot of issues in the past with bar codes that are difficult to read.

Thank you!

Mike
Conspiracy of Gamers EO

New Post Sign in to write a new post.