Health and Safety Info 2023
( Locked)
4 5 6 8
4 5 6 8
Posted by squirecam toxic_rat

toxic_rat wrote:
knuteski wrote:
It may be too late for this year but I agree with the previous 2 comments.  
Perhaps a simple yes/no field with something like "Masked Event".
Note that if possible, I would not expect Gen Con staff to filter through every single description and then redo the already submitted events but simply to do put a default "No" in each of the already submitted events and then send out a generic email to all the EOs that if they prefer their attendees to wear masks to submit the event changes.
As an aside, I'd like to tackle the question about "EOs requesting masks for Mike" using simple language even though, yes, I know Mike answered it already.
If the EO asks you to wear a mask, wear the F-ing mask please.  If you have such a strong stance against masks, don't wait for the start of the event to show up and "hope" the EO doesn't want you to wear a mask.  Either contact the EO ahead of time (if email or website is listed) or perhaps show up 10 minutes early to check.  Yes, I agree, the EO should make it known to the attendees but mistakes happen and someone could have told Gen Con but with over 10,000 events to deal with, even a miniscule .1% error rate means there would still be >10 with errors. 
I avoid wearing masks whenever I can but that doesn't mean I'm going to be disrespectful to someone running a game who wants it.  They are volunteering FOR YOU so do something for them and wear the mask or don't participate in their event.
And it has to go both ways for the GM.  If you are willing to GM an event, you can respectfully ask for attendees to mask up.  But the GM should also be prepared mentally for a respectful "No, thank you." from those attendees.  GM's must be prepared for all of their participants to be un-masked, and still be prepared to run the event.As soon as one party raises their voice to argue, that's when you get Event Staff involved.  
the person who does not want to wear a mask is not in the wrong here. No need for voices to be raised although that is the obvious concern.

Posted by mikeboozer pholtus

pholtus wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
pholtus wrote:
Why is the Mask option being added to the Text field and not as a selection in the form? 
Here is the user story for your wed site dev team
As a Gen Con attendee I want the mask option as a field that I can filter on when searching for games to sign up for. 

Event Registration opened January 8th so that is not possible for this year.Mike
I work in software development as a Product Owner, it IS possible. If you do not consider that a priority Item do to other work that is a different thing   

Yes, but I think you mistook my statement as intended. For that I'm sorry:

Because Event Registration opened January 8th.

It is not possible for this year. Or maybe not a possibility is what I should have said.

Not that it is impossible. I think we all know it is.

Hope that clears it up.

Mike

Posted by toxic_rat squirecam

squirecam wrote:
<snip>
the person who does not want to wear a mask is not in the wrong here. No need for voices to be raised although that is the obvious concern.

Agreed.

Posted by pholtus

"If any participant (player or GM) becomes disruptive, please alert your nearest Event HQ or contact GM HQ for assistance immediately." 

You mean the GM HQ that isn't in the same hotel were I am running games. This part of the policy is the biggest joke and only going to lead to GMs and EOs being put in crossfire and possibly risky situations. 

Posted by oldcurmudgeonstudios grognard262

grognard262 wrote:
watchdog wrote:
I’m not sure I understand how quoting Gen Con’s policy statement in an event description is in conflict with Gen Con standing by that policy statement. 

Some people want to "request" masks, which is different from "recommend" masks.  It is a way to exert social pressure on people to wear masks above and beyond the recommendation.  Basically, they are signaling that you are not welcome at their table unless you are wearing one.

And, to me, that's just fine. The social pressure works both ways, if no one signs up for your event because of your request, then you might want to re-think it for 2024.

And, without snark, the White House just said they're planning on ending the emergency on May 11th.

Posted by mikeboozer pholtus

pholtus wrote:
"If any participant (player or GM) becomes disruptive, please alert your nearest Event HQ or contact GM HQ for assistance immediately." 
You mean the GM HQ that isn't in the same hotel were I am running games. This part of the policy is the biggest joke and only going to lead to GMs and EOs being put in crossfire and possibly risky situations. 

If you have concerns as a GM/EO you should contact [email protected]

Mike

Posted by mrshiny

Posted by gib_rebeg oldcurmudgeonstudios

[This post has been removed]

Posted by mikeboozer

gib_rebeg 

We're not going down this rabbit hole. Not getting political here.

Mike

Posted by dljuly3

Immensely disappointed that GenCon has chosen to listen to the vocal minority on this and no longer protect its vulnerable in the community. Been attending for well over a decade. Not sure I will be attending going forward given the discussions in here over "protecting" those who wish to not wear a mask and GenCons clear signals toward allowing that. 

Posted by toxic_rat dljuly3

dljuly3 wrote:
Immensely disappointed that GenCon has chosen to listen to the vocal minority on this and no longer protect its vulnerable in the community. Been attending for well over a decade. Not sure I will be attending going forward given the discussions in here over "protecting" those who wish to not wear a mask and GenCons clear signals toward allowing that. 

It's hard to call this a vocal minority, when it would appear that an overwhelming majority or people and events are not wearing or requiring masks.  Even the US Federal Government appears to be poised to declare an "end" to the pandemic status.

Posted by tpir mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
Q&A information:
What happens if I go to an event, and they ask me to wear a mask and I refuse to do so? 
Wearing a mask at the convention is optional, so the EO cannot require that you wear a mask at their event. With this in mind, we request that you and the EO are polite to one another while you resolve the matter. However, if the EO persists, you should contact the nearest Event HQ to have them resolve the situation. Alternatively, in order to ensure that GM and players are comfortable, it is probably best to find another event without this request.    (highlighting is my own here)
Mike, thank you for listening to all voices in formulating this policy and Q&A.  While I'm sure it wasn't the intent, what this has done is create a disconnect between show policy and sub-policy within the different aspects of the show.  GenCon policy states that all are welcome regardless of mask preference.  But this sub-policy states very clearly that this will not always apply.  Effectively this creates a situation where those who choose to wear masks are welcomed everywhere and those who do not might not be. Running the risk of being overly dramatic, it teeters on the edge of being discriminatory because it allows individuals in a position of authority to effectively exclude people for reasons that are not supported by the broader show policy. 

I understand that no policy is going to please everyone, but I figured I'd at least share a perspective that the team might not have considered.

Posted by traveller tpir

danmcneill wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
Q&A information:
What happens if I go to an event, and they ask me to wear a mask and I refuse to do so? 
Wearing a mask at the convention is optional, so the EO cannot require that you wear a mask at their event. With this in mind, we request that you and the EO are polite to one another while you resolve the matter. However, if the EO persists, you should contact the nearest Event HQ to have them resolve the situation. Alternatively, in order to ensure that GM and players are comfortable, it is probably best to find another event without this request.    (highlighting is my own here)
Mike, thank you for listening to all voices in formulating this policy and Q&A.  While I'm sure it wasn't the intent, what this has done is create a disconnect between show policy and sub-policy within the different aspects of the show.  GenCon policy states that all are welcome regardless of mask preference.  But this sub-policy states very clearly that this will not always apply.  Effectively this creates a situation where those who choose to wear masks are welcomed everywhere and those who do not might not be. Running the risk of being overly dramatic, it teeters on the edge of being discriminatory because it allows individuals in a position of authority to effectively exclude people for reasons that are not supported by the broader show policy. I understand that no policy is going to please everyone, but I figured I'd at least share a perspective that the team might not have considered.

So I'm not clear on the issue you are trying to raise.  GC policy is that masks are not required.  You may wear a mask if you want or don't wear one if you don't want to.  You don't get to demand someone else wear/don't wear one.

Posted by donaldbain toxic_rat

Can you post your preview copy of the event list ?  If you know the majority of event aren’t requiring masks, you must have one.  Amazing everyone got their events in so fast.

Knowing that everyone isn’t going to wear a mask is also impressive.  All the posts I’ve seen are 50-50.  Assuming what people that haven’t said what they are doing would be impossible of course.

Posted by toxic_rat donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:
Can you post your preview copy of the event list ?  If you know the majority of event aren’t requiring masks, you must have one.  Amazing everyone got their events in so fast.Knowing that everyone isn’t going to wear a mask is also impressive.  All the posts I’ve seen are 50-50.  Assuming what people that haven’t said what they are doing would be impossible of course.
Sorry, this one is on me.  By "people and events" I was referring to the general population, and other large events, not GenCon specifically.  The trend everywhere is going/gone in the direction of not requiring masks.

Apologies for the confusion.

As for events, my own anecdotal information (as EO for about 20 GMs) is that we have gained several new GM's, and lost none due to this policy.  We are on track to host more player-hours than we did last year.  A very small sample, to be sure, but it is what I am seeing.

On the number of those that actually mask full time at the convention, my guess is that we'll see around 15%.  Much higher than the general population, but GenCon is a different group of people, so I think it will have more voluntary masking.

Posted by squirecam traveller

traveller wrote:
danmcneill wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
Q&A information:
Mike, thank you for listening to all voices in formulating this policy and Q&A.  While I'm sure it wasn't the intent, what this has done is create a disconnect between show policy and sub-policy within the different aspects of the show.  GenCon policy states that all are welcome regardless of mask preference.  But this sub-policy states very clearly that this will not always apply.  Effectively this creates a situation where those who choose to wear masks are welcomed everywhere and those who do not might not be. Running the risk of being overly dramatic, it teeters on the edge of being discriminatory because it allows individuals in a position of authority to effectively exclude people for reasons that are not supported by the broader show policy. I understand that no policy is going to please everyone, but I figured I'd at least share a perspective that the team might not have considered.

So I'm not clear on the issue you are trying to raise.  GC policy is that masks are not required.  You may wear a mask if you want or don't wear one if you don't want to.  You don't get to demand someone else wear/don't wear one.
The preferred option pursuant to the highlight is that if the GM wants masks and the player doesnt is for the player to leave and find another event to play.

Some might feel they are taking the blame and must give up the event they wanted, perhaps their only opportunity to play that game that weekend, despite them following all of the show policies. 

Posted by mikeboozer donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:
Can you post your preview copy of the event list ?  If you know the majority of event aren’t requiring masks, you must have one.  Amazing everyone got their events in so fast.Knowing that everyone isn’t going to wear a mask is also impressive.  All the posts I’ve seen are 50-50.  Assuming what people that haven’t said what they are doing would be impossible of course.

"Everyone" did not get their events in, but many did. We usually have 15K to 20K events. Retroactively looking at all of them is not happening.

We do not post the event list until it has been vetted and ready. Confusion and chaos would ensue if we did that as changes that need to be made on so many fronts are required to be vetted.

The fact that many EO's have already submitted their Events and not inquired about asking to mask at the tables is telling.

Mike

Posted by mikeboozer squirecam

squirecam wrote:
traveller wrote:
danmcneill wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
Q&A information:

The preferred option pursuant to the highlight is that if the GM wants masks and the player doesnt is for the player to leave and find another event to play.Some might feel they are taking the blame and must give up the event they wanted, perhaps their only opportunity to play that game that weekend, despite them following all of the show policies. 

Gen Con have more faith that our attendees will find common ground. Believe me when I say that Gen Con has looked at this form all angles. 

Additionally we don't think this will have any impact on the vast majority of events. 

Mike

Posted by squirecam mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
squirecam wrote:
traveller wrote:
danmcneill wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
Q&A information:

The preferred option pursuant to the highlight is that if the GM wants masks and the player doesnt is for the player to leave and find another event to play.Some might feel they are taking the blame and must give up the event they wanted, perhaps their only opportunity to play that game that weekend, despite them following all of the show policies. 

Gen Con have more faith that our attendees will find common ground. Believe me when I say that Gen Con has looked at this form all angles. Additionally we don't think this will have any impact on the vast majority of events. 
Mike
I would wear a mask if asked and I hope you are correct on this. 

Posted by armored badger

Does this affect things that are controlled by Gen Con, such as the auction and the game library?

I don't suspect it will, just asking for clarification.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
4 5 6 8
4 5 6 8