Why did you change the dates???
Normal
Small
Posted by matthias9 roganca

roganca wrote:
raidkillsbugsded wrote:
It was probably done purely out of contempt/spite.

Gen Con has always hated Bigdill23. And now it looks like they've finally screwed him over for the last time. Why, Gen Con? Why?

Lol.

But, seriously, it's got to be incredibly complex to schedule.  Unlike most events, which just need 1 hall at the convention center, GenCon needs everything.  Plus Lucas Oil.  Plus all the rooms in the surrounding hotels.  It's amazing it can come together at all.  I've been going for over 3 decades.  I used to think of it usually as mid August, but it was entirely in July for the first one Indy -- and as late as August 25 waaay back in the 1980s.  (I may be dating myself.)  Point being, it is when they can make it work.

I'm puzzled by the comments about school starting.  Someone said it was the first day of school?  Or after school started?  Does school start August 2nd in your area?  If so, even if that is Indy, you shouldn't assume they will plan around that.  GenCon draws from around the world, not just the local area.  I'd expect that in the US, most schools don't start until Labor Day or thereabouts.  August 2nd seems like a whole month early compared to where I live.

Normal
Small
Posted by ascantla

First weekend of August, looks pretty consistent. Where I work all Vacation time resets August 1st, that's not too bad until the dates come up the last few days of July. Got to be responsible and hold a couple days for an entire year LOL.

Normal
Small
Posted by rayken

Why does one person always regularly post something each year along the lines of "Because of this, I can't go!" or "I can't go again!" 

There's like 65,000 people that go man. None of this is customized for you.

Normal
Small
Posted by traveller rayken

rayken wrote:
Why does one person always regularly post something each year along the lines of "Because of this, I can't go!" or "I can't go again!" 
There's like 65,000 people that go man. None of this is customized for you.

Because this is the internet and it gives anyone a license to whine.  That being said, simply put, the dates move depending on the availability of resources.  Gencon requires more space, more hotels and more city resources now then in the past.  Gencon is big but to get Lucas Oil it was easier to move up a couple of weeks than go toe to toe with the NFL.

Frankly it is more accessible, time wise, for people earlier in August than later.  It will make the trade/educator day more useful.  Its much easier for teachers to go if school is not in session.  This also means more families can go as they won't miss the first week of school and this is good as they are the next generation.  It also allow more college aged kids to go as it used to be during/just before moving day.  

In short, it makes a sound financial decision to adjust the date to ensure that the con continues....

Normal
Small
Posted by quarex

Yes but will you please sign my Change.org petition asking to put it back in the middle of the month so I can have my birthday fall during Gen-Con again sometime, thank you

Normal
Small
Posted by traveller

no, but i will sign a change.org petition to change your birthday, I think that's a fair compromise.

Normal
Small
Posted by rayken

The best answer is just...

You have to change your life and schedule around to attend. 

The event does not change to suit you.

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager rayken

rayken wrote:
The best answer is just...
You have to change your life and schedule around to attend. 
The event does not change to suit you.
In Mother Gen Con, Event change you.

Normal
Small
Posted by kellishaver

I know this is old, but for the people confused about the start of the school year, a lot of schools in the south start in early-mid August, rather than September. This is due to the heat, and/or to build in possible extra time for days missed because of snow that the local infrastructure isn't equipped to handle (because the south).

As a result, some area universities also adjust their schedule to match more closely with the public school system, to make things easier for faculty/staff/students with kids in school (at least mine does). 

For us this year, the last day of Gencon is the day before school starts, but by May 7, school's out for the summer.

Normal
Small
Posted by quarex

Thank you Traveller, I appreciate your willingness to help rewrite the calendar for my needs one way or another.

(For as much as I loved celebrating my birthday at The G-C a few times, earlier in the month really does seem like a better time for avoiding most school schedules)

Also hey can someone send me the the anti-Bigdill23 forum link again, I lost it

Normal
Small
Posted by mikeboozer

Hello all,

Gen Con always takes many factors into consideration when picking dates. 

The school year (including universities) is certainly a factor but it does vary quite a bit from state to state and university to university.

As you can imagine the availability of the convention center and the stadium is a very large factor as well.

Any other convention or show that takes up hotel space as well, but may not use the ICC.

There is also something to be said for consistency.

These are just a few of the factors.

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by dblade

Personally I think these dates are the best possible ones to accommodate the greatest amount of people. Too close to the end of August and we lose students and educators.

Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
Hello all,
Gen Con always takes many factors into consideration when picking dates. 
The school year (including universities) is certainly a factor but it does vary quite a bit from state to state and university to university.
As you can imagine the availability of the convention center and the stadium is a very large factor as well.
Any other convention or show that takes up hotel space as well, but may not use the ICC.
There is also something to be said for consistency.
These are just a few of the factors.
Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC

Gen Con 2019: August 1 - 4, 2019
Gen Con 2020: July 30 - August 2, 2020
Gen Con 2021: August 5-8, 2021
Gen Con 2022: August 4-7, 2022
Gen Con 2023: August 3-6, 2023

Seems pretty consistent for the next few years.

Normal
Small
Posted by ytuni

My daughter's second year of preschool starts the first day of Gen Con. So, do I skip taking her to school her first day back? Do I skip the first day of Gen Con? Or do I take her to school then start my 2 hour trip to Indy? 

Any weekend Gen Con were to pick isn't going to work out for everyone. It's impossible to consider EVERY factor in every gamer's life and accommodate everyone. And, as mikeboozer said, there are a multitude of factors that are beyond the Gen Con organizer's control. 

i hate to see anyone miss out due to scheduling conflicts, but it is what it is.

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

Your daughter is only that age once.  Bring her to school and then make the short drive to the Con.  Gen Con will still be there when you get there and you'll be glad you were with your daughter.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.