Downtown Hyatt Regency - A Mistake??
Normal
Small
Posted by shyeyes19

Hello!

My group ended up getting VERY lucky in the lottery, and we picked the downtown Hyatt Regency mostly for the location and some other amenities. Now, though, I'm seeing reviews on some sites that are not so great...

Someone talk me off the ledge! We've never stayed there before, so I have no idea what to believe/expect. It seemed like an AWESOME option, but now I'm getting nervous...

Normal
Small
Posted by divachelle

I think that this is one of the most desirable hotels downtown.

There are fridges in all of the rooms, there's a Starbucks in the lobby, they offer a menu'ed breakfast or a buffet for a fee, it's super close to the ICC...I think that you did well.

Not sure on the parking situation there, but you could always Gate 10 park and save some money.

Normal
Small
Posted by shyeyes19

That's what I'd heard from the few people I'd talked to, but now TripAdvisor/Yelp/etc. have me all twitchy from a couple of their random normal people posts.

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager

So we stayed there last year. It was our first time staying downtown, and I did not even consider another location. The room size does leave some to be desired if you have more than 3-4 people. But the location is hard to beat as its connected to the ICC and the Mall and one of the closest hotels to almost all of the sit down food options. The lobby is set up nicely and it has multiple entry points. The staff all buy in as they are dressed up. Last year it was Star Trek. Not sure if its the same every year. We had a great experience. I remember calling days before the event to confirm my room and make sure we would have a crib. The CS rep confirmed everything made sure we had what we needed and when I asked him if there were fees for the crib, his reply was: "No Sir, we are not the Hilton" I got a kick out of it.

Parking is steep. Its like $35-40 a night, if you park yourself. Do not use Valet.

Overall, you got a great hotel. I'm sure others are awesome as well. But you did not make a mistake with the Hyatt.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

It’s my preferred hotel—mostly due to location.

Normal
Small
Posted by irontk

I've stayed there two years, didn't have a problem either.
My preferred location is Embassy Suites. 
Hyatt is 2nd. 

Normal
Small
Posted by nscott

I'd second staying away from the parking garage. You definitely have to make a saving throw against insanity if you pull in there, aisles just end and if you haven't found a space you may need to back up to the last intersection...crazy.

Normal
Small
Posted by aldctjoc

What reviews? Are they nuts? I've heard nothing but good about that place. The only criticism is one I personally came up with, and that's that their basement parking garage is a tiny nightmare of a maze. I swear, a Mini Cooper would feel gigantic moving around down there. 

But that's it. When the only problem that comes to mind is the parking, it's not a bad place. 

What reviews are you looking at? 

Normal
Small
Posted by rayken

There is no cause for concern for any of the Skywalk connected downtown hotels during GenCon.

Normal
Small
Posted by aldctjoc

Ok, read some of the Yelp reviews. None of the bad reviews were outlandish: Being incorrectly booked for a large group is definitely a problem. Not getting a room on a lower floor upon request is legit. But neither seem to rise to the level of being systemic issues.

More: One reviewer complained that the room in winter didn't get warm enough. I can sympathize with that; I'm the type that'll wear sweaters once it dips below 60. The funny thing is, an earlier review complained about the "sweltering" rooms. That was all winter, though; obviously August temperatures will be in the exact opposite direction.

Rooms are not "luxury".... didn't think about it, but yeah, Indianapolis rooms aren't exactly that way even in the top end hotels. You'd have to be in the Conrad or Omni to get a plush room. Maybe the JW, I'm not sure. Even the Westin in Indy wasn't as good as the Westin in other cities I've been too, although it was still really damn nice. 

Funny but true complaint: Had to drive around the block to determine which was the entrance... heh, yeah, I never thought about it since I'm there for multiple Gen Cons and semi-regularly for business as well. But now that I think about it, I can see a first timer being confused.

On the one hand, those complaints seemed legit. On the other, I'd still take a Hyatt room for Gen Con in a heartbeat. Maybe I'm too easy to please in that regard, I don't know... but I didn't think the Yelp reviews rose to the level of scaring me away from that place. Legit concerns, but not "OMG no" ones to me. 

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager

The entrance issue was totally us last year. Drove all the way around the building and finally found the right way in. lol Fun times.

Normal
Small
Posted by angelhelly

We booked Hyatt last year through their loyalty program. We loved it and did again this year. King room, minifridge, plenty big, centered on everything with several entries.. My husband insisted that we booked this one if we could again this year, he really enjoy the table on wheels we had in the room on which we could play games together during breaks.

We did not do parking with them tho. We booked a covered parking 4-5 blocks away which was really affortable for the duration of the convention. $40 a night is pricey (still not the 60-69 from Chicago Downtown tho...)

Normal
Small
Posted by shyeyes19

I can't remember which site I saw them on (maybe TripAdvisor or Expedia?) but my concern mainly came from seeing several reviews about dirty rooms or uncomfortable beds. It was a, "Oh, no, did I screw up?" moment of concern, but sounds here like those complaints were a bit unfounded/outweighed by the location!

Normal
Small
Posted by jde9942 shyeyes19

shyeyes19 wrote:
Hello!
My group ended up getting VERY lucky in the lottery, and we picked the downtown Hyatt Regency mostly for the location and some other amenities. Now, though, I'm seeing reviews on some sites that are not so great...
Someone talk me off the ledge! We've never stayed there before, so I have no idea what to believe/expect. It seemed like an AWESOME option, but now I'm getting nervous...
Yeah dude, as far as I'm concerned this is THE place to stay.  My group has been going to GC for 15 years and we always try to get the Hyatt.  You've got open gaming on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd floor, central location to tons of different restaurants and the CC, nice view...the list goes on.  On the 2nd floor, keep a lookout for the Tower of Gygax buried in the corner next to the elevators.  This is the old school AD&D marathon gaming they run- its always fun to jump in a game, even if you have to wait a bit. 

Not complaining about the JW we got this year, but if I had my druthers we'd be in the Hyatt again. 

Normal
Small
Posted by selene314 shyeyes19

shyeyes19 wrote:
I can't remember which site I saw them on (maybe TripAdvisor or Expedia?) but my concern mainly came from seeing several reviews about dirty rooms or uncomfortable beds. It was a, "Oh, no, did I screw up?" moment of concern, but sounds here like those complaints were a bit unfounded/outweighed by the location!

I think it was the Hyatt where I found empty beer bottles in the fridge when I arrived.

A bigger problem was how few outlets the room had.

Normal
Small
Posted by cman811

My group has stayed at the Hyatt the last two years and were fortunate enough this year to get in it as well.  To me it has a perfect location in regard to the mall for parking/easy food, the con itself, and easy access to anywhere in the middle of Indy.  The rooms themselves are somewhat inconsistent, the first year we had a great big huge bathroom and second year it was tiny, but with more floorspace in the living area, even though we had a king room both times.  But the staff was always excellent and very helpful.  I would recommend the Hyatt to anyone.  

Normal
Small
Posted by stiehle

I'll have to visit the Hyatt this time around - I remember trying to look for Tower of Gygax last summer but didn't have any luck.  I probably could have done so if I'd put my mind to it, but it was my first con and everything was a bit overwhelming.  This summer I'm hoping to have a better idea of what I'm doing.

Normal
Small
Posted by brooks selene314

selene314 wrote:
shyeyes19 wrote:

I think it was the Hyatt where I found empty beer bottles in the fridge when I arrived.A bigger problem was how few outlets the room had.

Talk about a rollercoaster of emotions. Opening refrigerator - free beer! Seeing bottles are empty - crap!

Normal
Small
Posted by shyeyes19 brooks

brooks wrote:
selene314 wrote:
shyeyes19 wrote:

I think it was the Hyatt where I found empty beer bottles in the fridge when I arrived.A bigger problem was how few outlets the room had.

Talk about a rollercoaster of emotions. Opening refrigerator - free beer! Seeing bottles are empty - crap!
The classic bait and switch...dang...

Normal
Small
Posted by bushmaster

Paizo uses the Hyatt for their GMs. 

It is a good place.  The fridge in the room was awesome.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.