Partnerships, Earned Media, and Acquisition
Who we are
At Gen Con LLC, our mission is to create the world’s greatest place for tabletop gaming. At the core of what we do is producing the largest consumer hobby, fantasy, science fiction and adventure game convention in North America, held every year in Indianapolis, IN. Gen Con, “The Best Four Days in Gaming,” is 60,000+ attendees, 500+ exhibitors, and 19,000+ ticketed events, operating 24 hours per day, in over 1.2 million square feet of event space in the Indiana Convention Center, Lucas Oil Stadium, and many surrounding hotels. Just as new technologies and a larger, more diverse set of audiences are driving change in the games we play and how we play them, we dedicate ourselves to creating and adopting the best tools and practices possible to support and showcase tabletop gaming culture wherever gamers gather, be it in the physical space of a convention center or in the digital space of our social media communities and streaming channels.
What we’re looking for
Gen Con seeks an experienced marketing manager to lead acquisition marketing and communication efforts for our annual gaming convention and our year-round operations as a leading voice in tabletop gaming and culture. The role is based in Seattle, but exceptional candidates in the Indianapolis metro area will also be considered. Candidates should have experience crafting media communications, developing relationships with strategic partners, and driving acquisition marketing, both for the event and its associated licenses and digital efforts.
What you’ll do
- Grow and evolve local and national partner marketing executions and promotions for Gen Con events
- Manage B2B partners and related contractors, on-site in Indy and throughout the year
- Maintain a strong working relationship with Indiana CVB and other key stakeholders in Indianapolis
- Develop and execute media and public relations strategy for Gen Con to drive interest and attention to the annual show as well as Gen Con’s year-round digital and retail initiatives
- Cultivate relationships with key media figures, both internal and external to the hobby game industry
- Establish Gen Con as a global voice for tabletop gaming
- Create, buy, place, and measure acquisition and retention ad campaigns to ensure maximum attendance at Gen Con events, streaming performance, and retail initiatives
- Manage social media ad buying, email, and other digital retention campaigns, as well as local market physical ad buying in Gen Con event locations
Collaboration and Show Management
- This role will work closely with exhibits, sales, operations, and programming teams to ensure high quality marketing executions across a wide range of earned and paid channels
- Some travel is required, including to Indianapolis each summer to work the convention
What you bring to the table
Required Skills and Experience
- Digital and physical marketing experience across a wide range of channels, especially including Facebook and other social media advertising platforms
- Email/retention campaign development and management, including basic CRM. Loyalty program experience a big plus
- Experience working with PR, press, or agencies. Crisis communication experience a plus.
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Hobby or digital game experience, either on the events or publishing side
- Live event marketing experience
Ideal candidates should have broad marketing experience, but also the desire to keep their skills fresh and learn new tools and marketing tactics as required.
Working at Gen Con
Gen Con's corporate office resides in the Leschi neighborhood of Seattle, WA. Employment also requires annual travel to work the convention in Indianapolis, IN.
- Fun, flexible work environment with sit/stand desks
- Game-loving team culture with regular social events
- Company-paid health, dental, and vision insurance
- Generous 401(k) matching
- Good work/life balance with extensive vacation time, holidays, sick days, and three personal days per year
- Annual offsite corporate summit
- Gen Con does not offer relocation assistance or sponsor visas at this time. All submitted resumes must be accompanied by a cover letter.
How to Apply
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants only, please. No recruiters or agencies.